Green Bean Casserole Recipe
Rated 5.0 stars by 1 users
This Skillet Green Bean Casserole recipe is a modern twist on the traditional version. By adding Gruyere cheese and crispy leeks, it takes the dish to a whole new level of deliciousness. The creamy Gruyere cheese adds a rich and nutty flavor, while the crispy leeks provide a satisfying crunch. This combination of flavors and textures will leave you craving for more!
1 cup of Leeks, sliced, separated, white and light green part
¼ cups of All Purpose Flour or Almond Flour
½ cups + ½ tbsp of Grapeseed Oil or Light Olive Oil
1 tbsp of Spicelopedia® Italian Lemon Pepper Seasoning
1 tbsp of Butter, salted
5 oz of Shitake Mushrooms, pre-sliced
4 springs of Fresh Thyme, stripped
1 lb of French Green Beans, fresh, cut in half
½ cups of 2% Milk
3 oz of Onion and Chive Cream Cheese
3 tsp of Low Sodium Soy Sauce
3-4 oz of Gruyere Cheese, shredded.
Slice the leeks. To clean the leeks, separate the rings and soak them in a bowl of cold water. Suggest doing this three times, drying with a paper towel in between.
- Add flour to the bowl. Dredge the leeks in the flour. Shake off excess flour.
- Add 1/2 cup of oil to a pan. The easiest way to tell if the oil is hot enough for shallow frying is to carefully dip the handle of a wooden spoon into the hot oil. If it bubbles, it’s ready.
- Carefully lower ½ of the leeks into the oil. About thirty seconds later, add the rest of the leeks. Cook for an additional thirty seconds. This will create a texture between extra crispy and lightly crisped. Immediately remove to a plate lined with a paper towel. You may season the leeks with pinches of the Lemon Pepper Seasoning while they are hot. Reserve the rest of the seasoning. Discard oil after it’s cooled.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a heavy, oven-safe skillet, add the remaining oil and the butter. Melt the butter over medium heat, making sure that the butter doesn’t burn or is overly brown.
- Add the mushrooms and the thyme. Cook mushrooms until golden, about one minute.
- Add the green beans. Sauté for about three minutes until beans are slightly softened.
- Using the tongs, toss the mushrooms and the beans with the rest of the Lemon Pepper Seasoning.
- Add the milk, cream cheese, and soy sauce to the skillet with the mushrooms and beans. Toss with tongs to coat.
- Top the beans and mushrooms with the Gruyere cheese.
- Transfer to oven. Bake for approximately 20 minutes until the cheese is slightly bubbly. Top with the crispy leeks during the last two or three minutes (continuing to bake).
- Ovens vary, so adjust cooking time accordingly.
- Remove the pan from the oven with an oven mitt.
- Serve immediately; however, it’s also yummy at room temperature, and leftovers heat up well in the microwave.